Simon's going to be 50 in May *not sniggering really* so we're having a family BBQ. It was going to be bigger and there were "surprise" guests coming BUT he had a little bit of a cob on and numbers have been cut back and there are no surprises. So yesterday's shopping trip was in preparation for the BBQ. After a lovely lunch Moules-frites for me, roast lamb with thyme for him ... we bought pork, lots and lots of pork! I love French pork *snigger* of the pork chop variety. And Toulouse sausages, proper steak haché, Brie de Meaux, Reblochon and some wonderfully stinky St Paulin ... unfortunately I couldn't get any Saint-André. I don't think we bought anything else did we ... oh yes a couple of drinks. Just a few you understand because there's no need to go overboard is there??
Sunday, April 29, 2007
Saturday, April 28, 2007
Friday, April 27, 2007
When a man volunteers to do the BBQ (and with summer and his birthday coming it'll be happening soon enough) the following chain of events are put into motion:Routine ... (1) The woman goes to Tesco and buys the food.
(2) The woman makes the salad, prepares the vegetables, and makes dessert.
(3) The woman prepares the meat for cooking, places it on a tray along with the necessary cooking utensils and sauces, and takes it to the man, who is lounging beside the grill - beer in hand.
Here comes the important part:
(4) THE MAN PLACES THE MEAT ON THE GRILL.
More routine ....
(5) The woman goes inside to organize the plates and cutlery.
(6) The woman comes out to tell the man that the meat is burning. He thanks her and asks if she will bring another beer while he deals with the situation.
(7) THE MAN TAKES THE MEAT OFF THE GRILL AND HANDS IT TO THE WOMAN.
(8) The woman prepares the plates, salad, bread, utensils, napkins, sauces, and brings them to the table.
(9) After eating, the woman clears the table and loads the dishwasher. And most important of all: 10) Everyone PRAISES the MAN and THANKS HIM for his cooking efforts. (11) The man asks the woman how she enjoyed "her night off." And, upon seeing her annoyed reaction, concludes that there's just no pleasing some women ....
I can see the enjoyment in a warming winter stew you know!!
Sunday, April 22, 2007
Thursday, April 19, 2007
We had a surprise visit from our local health visitor yesterday. She's lovely and we see lots of her as children as young as the ones we
get to play games with all day long teach are still seen by her and not by the school nurse.
She came to talk about a little lovely who started with us in September has some health issues that Mum forgot to tell us about. This little slip is that he has hemophilia. How the hell do you forget something like that? It's not like forgetting to mention a verruca is it? Shocked? Just a little!
Wednesday, April 18, 2007
A poker win - £3.20. Coincedentally the amount that one of my readers lost ... sorry :o) Need more sleep though as I didn't get home till almost 1 o'clock - detour because the tunnel was closed :o(
Tuesday, April 17, 2007
My promotion was announced to all and sundry so I don't need to keep a lid on that one anymore - that's a relief.
Yesterday was a SDD - Staff Development Day.
We had a phonics session in the morning and then I ran a workshop on *yawn* Assessment of ICT in the afternoon ... people just about stayed awake!
I had a headache by 10.30am.
I was asleep last night at 7pm. I missed Nick Knowles! So I figure I deserve a photo for some drooling.
I probably get more sleep than the children I teach ;o)
Sunday, April 15, 2007
Thursday, April 12, 2007
Swiped, from Deb over at sugarfused.net ... the movie meme, feel free to continue the theft or choose a question to answer in the comments box
1. Name a movie you have seen more than 10 times ... Seven Brides for Seven Brothers! Damn it all Howard Keel was a good looking man and he couldn't half sing. And the dancing just blows me away every time I see it.
2. Name a movie you’ve seen multiple times in the theater ... Dirty Dancing
3. Name an actor who would make you more inclined to see a movie ... Hugh of course, what do you mean Hugh who? HUGH! The delicious Mr Jackman. Oh and Morgan Freeman - love him.
4. Name an actor who would make you less likely to see a movie ... the tiny and weird (what's with the whole religion thing) Mr Cruise.
5. Name a movie you can and do quote from ... The Birdcage "Honey you're wasting your gum!"
6. Name a movie musical in which you know all of the lyrics to all of the songs ... Calamity Jane, Seven Brides for Seven Brothers, Carousel and Oklahoma to name but a few.
7. Name a movie you have been known to sing along with ... Any of the above.
8. Name a movie you would recommend everyone see ... The Shawshank Redemption - makes me cry every time I see it. Wonderful to see that the human spirit is never crushed.
9. Name a movie you own ... Bride & Prejudice - love the camp Bollywoodness of it!
10. Name an actor who launched his/her entertainment career in another medium but who has surprised you with his/her acting chops. Elvis - when you think how many films he made whilst carrying on an incredibly successful career and the films are thoroughly enjoyable.
11. Have you ever seen a movie in a drive-in? NO, we don't have them in the UK much to my annoyance / disappointment.
12. Ever made out in a movie? Yes, hasn't everyone?
13. Name a movie you keep meaning to see but you just haven’t gotten around to yet. Pulp Fiction, because everyone raves about it. And I suppose I really should see ET at some point.
14. Ever walked out of a movie? Yes! The horrendous I love you to Death (I normally love Kevin Kline.)
15. Name a movie that made you cry in the theater. Steel Magnolias
16. Popcorn? Yes salted and diet coke
17. How often do you go to the movies (as opposed to renting them or watching them at home)? Not often enough, Simon complains that his legs don't fit and I don't particularly like going alone.
18. What’s the last movie you saw in the theater? Umm ... gosh, ah I saw the Queen. Went with friends.
19. What’s your favorite/preferred genre of movie? I love to laugh ... give me a real gut splitting comedy.
20. What’s the first movie you remember seeing in the theater? Lady and the Tramp, my Nana took my brother and I during the school holidays. I cried.
21. What movie do you wish you had never seen? The Da Vinci Code I thought it was dreadful and I loved the book. A pathetic waste of my time having watched it!
22. What is the weirdest movie you enjoyed? I don't know, I can't think of one off the top of my head. Maybe you could answer that question for me.
23. What is the scariest movie you’ve seen? I don't do scary movies very often Kissed the Girls had me on the edge of my seat ... I like thrillers. I certainly don't ever watch horror films.
24. What is the funniest movie you’ve seen? Too many to choose from ... I don't like slapstick but I love comedy so I am plumping for The Birdcage because I just cry laughing whenever I see it.
Wednesday, April 11, 2007
SPAM! Bloody knacking SPAM! The only kind of SPAM I want is that stuff I used to eat in SPAM fritters from the Roma Fish Bar in Gorseinon in the 1980s and I'm not even sure I want to eat that now ... as I remember I used to get free pickled gherkins on the side because Paulo Romanello** had a crush on me *shudder* memories eh!
Anyway SPAM - I have to say that my Gmail* account is fantastic ... not much gets through the filters on that little sucker but my Blueyonder account - part of the Virgin Media group is crap. I get more offers of prescription meds, viagra and penis extenders (hello?? wouldn't I need a penis first?) than you could shake a stick at. Poor put-upon Ugandans have asked me to help them get their family money out of the country and Latvians have begged me to give their sister a place to stay when she comes "to UK to make money for youngest sister's education". Rolex watches, university degrees in only 2 weeks, weight loss from Brazil with BugreLife™ - the list is endless. And all pretty damn bizzare :o)
* I still have invites if you'd like an account.
** He used to come and watch the synchro team practice for hours *shudders again*
Monday, April 09, 2007
I stole this, from ... umm, umm ... shit, who did I steal this from? If I stole it from you ~ thanks! It was good, some of our answers matched. And BTW my paternal grandad's family was from Cork :o)
* I am shorter than 5’5” : if I bend my knees slightly.
* I have many scars : on my hands ... not those of a lady!
* I tan easily : but I still wear SPF25.
* I wish my hair was a different color : thank goodness for my hairdresser's chemical aptitude and knowledge.
* I have friends who have never seen my natural hair color : many friends who've never seen my natural hair colour!!
* I’ve had braces : just at that unforgiving teenage stage.
* I wear glasses or contacts : because otherwise I bump into lamposts.
* I’ve fallen asleep at work or school : my first day of lectures at university ... I had a virus that they thought was meningitis. Knocked me right on my arse!
* I failed more than 1 class : do 2 out of 3 "A" levels count?
* I’ve been fired: Not yet.
* Disney movies still make me cry : umm ... I don't think so BUT most everything else does.
* I’ve laughed so hard I’ve cried : all the time!
* I’ve sat in a doctor's office with a friend : many times.
* I’ve had my wisdom teeth removed : no.
* I had a serious surgery: no.
* I’ve had chicken pox : when I was 11.
* I’ve gotten lost in my city : not in a while.
* I’ve seen a shooting star : yes, many times.
* I’ve wished on a shooting star : oh yes.
* I’ve gone out in public in my pajamas : yes.
* I’ve pushed all the buttons on an elevator : yes.
* I’ve been to a casino : yes, there used to be a really good restaurant in one in Swansea. I've never played games in a casino though.
* I drank a whole gallon of milk in one hour : why would anyone over the age of 12 want to do that?
* I’ve been in a car crash : yes, just the one ... car died.
* I’ve caught a snowflake on my tongue : oh, yes.
* I’ve sat on a roof top at night : yes, now what was that guy's name?
* I’ve played chicken : no
* I’ve played a prank on someone : no
* I’ve seen the Rocky Horror Picture Show : *singing* How do you do? I see you've met my, faithful handyman.
* I’ve eaten Sushi : yum, sometimes even for breakfast!
* I’ve been snowboarding : no!
* I’ve had a crush on a teacher : Paul O'Sulllivan ... along with every other girl in our geography class.
* I’ve hugged a stranger : yes
* I own over 5 rap CDs : no way.
* I own multiple designer pants and shirts, costing over $100 piece : no
* I own something from Hot Topic : I have no idea what this store is.
* I own something from Pac Sun : or this one.
* I own something from The Gap : no.
* I own something from Abercrombie : Umm, no!
* I can sing well : my mother would argue with this.
* I’ve stolen a tray from a fast food restaurant : no, but I have some very natty little lemon squeezers from an Indian in Llanelli.
* I open up to others easily : not to begin with.
* I watch the news : Not with Eggheads on BBC2!
* I don’t kill bugs : but I anhilate spiders!
* I sing in the shower : only at home.
* I am a morning person : yes
* I am a sports fanatic : in an alternate universe maybe.
* I twirl my hair : no it doesn't need any help to curl thanks very much!
* I’ve copied more than 30 CDs in a day : no
* I bake well : wearing SPF25.
* My favorite color is either white, yellow, pink, red or blue : no.
* I sometimes wear pajamas to school : On Red Nose Day I did once.
* I like Martha Stewart : Martha who?
* I know how to shoot a gun : yes.
* I am guilty of tYpInG lIkE tHiS : nOT aT aLL!
* I laugh at my own jokes : of course
* I am really ticklish : arms and back.
* I love chocolate : Green and Black's Organic Milk Chocolate particularly.
* I chew my fingernails : when I'm over tired.
* I play video games : Don't have the coordination for it.
* I’m good at remembering faces : it's the names that escape me.
* I’m good at remembering names: not that you'd notice.
* I’m good at remembering dates: yes.
* I have no idea what I want to do for the rest of my life: not true, I have ideas but I dont have the bank account contents to match up to my dreams.
* My answers are totally honest: particularly that last one.
Sunday, April 08, 2007
Thursday, April 05, 2007
10 reasons? As I said to Moogie I don't know whether I can come up with 10 reasons!! So you ... no don't walk away from the page I'm talking to you! Yes, you lot out there are going to have to help me! Leave me a comment, giving me a good reason to blog and lets build the list together ... I'll start us off.
What are your top 10 reasons to blog?
- It gets you friends!
Wednesday, April 04, 2007
I say ... and you think ... ?
Trembling :: shaking
Shut up :: I prefer to say be quiet!
Heights :: Golan
Monica :: Friends
Delicious :: James Martin
Joint :: Bank account
Ferry :: France
Bliss :: Joy
Rejection :: Letter
Satisfying :: Mess