Tuesday, December 02, 2008

Thank you Gurminder

We've just had dinner - tarka dal and rice - yum, homemade from scratch following Shisho's recipe but with one exciting new twist ... homemade garam masala brought to work this morning by a colleague. Bay leaves and cloves and black cardamom and pepper corns and cumin and cinnamon bark ... so fresh and zingy and gorgeous the flavour was wonderful - my masala dabba is restocked with fresh spices and we'll be eating well (vegetable curries) AND cheaply (carrots are looking good) during the recession!

p.s. *preens* I've booked the ferry, sent the nephew's Christmas presents and bought my Christmas cards ... [encouragement needed please] better than last week eh?

6 comments:

RE said...

Jo, what is the name of the book you mentioned reading on my blog about parenting boys?

And WELL DONE you :-)

La Belette Rouge said...

I wish I had dinner at your house. Yum!!

david mcmahon said...

Tarka daal - trust me, there is nothing better in the pantheon of (amazing) Indian cuisine that tarka daal.

Fizzy said...

Yum Yum Yum
Lots of yummyness
Well done you!

Anonymous said...

Sounds yum, I had Dal pretty much every day on my recent holiday :-) Gotta love those crazy Malays they even serve it for breakfast! I *heart* that!!

PS. Is Shisho's recipe up for grabs?

Anonymous said...

Sounds delish!

And go you with the Christmassy stuff. I haven't even bought my cards yet....