Saturday, October 15, 2005

I'm always attracted to ...

... big men! Now come on get your mind out of the gutter ... I didn't mean big down there, sheesh sometimes you lot! I mean the kind of big quiet calm man who doesn't use his size to advantage, the gentle giant, the "gentleman", the kind of man who inspires "wow" in small children because his legs are so long! Do you know what I mean? Men who make you feel like a lady ... as well as making you feel like a woman! Bighearted men.

A guy I trained with was one such man; he must have been 6' 3" or 6' 4"; big hands, HUGE feet ~ hey I know your mind is going back down there!! Chris was only ever my friend - but what a friend he was; a gentle giant of a man, the son of a vet who wanted to work at a "farming educational centre" once he got his B. Ed. degree. He was always smiling or laughing ~ during the deepest, darkest "last but one week before the end of teaching practice" his would be the cheery voice on the bus in the mornings! The guy who remembered to ask how everyone was doing ~ comiserated, congratulated, verbally abused "tutors" if necessary .... just to make you feel better. Taught you the best Welsh swear words for English speaking schools ... and bought the first pint in the "dairies" as you got in on a Friday! Chris graduated with a 2.1 degree - much better than mine; and an excellent final teaching practice result .... as good as mine I am proud to say! He was the deputy-headteacher of a lively village primary school!


I heard today that Chris died last Monday ~ just 32 years old, father of two little tots, much loved husband and son; ravaged by fast moving cancer in his colon! I last saw him about 21 months / 2 years ago I think, in the middle of Swansea market - he shouted hello over the cockle stalls and we had a "do you remember the ..... and ..... and you'll never guess what ....." chats! Life really is shit sometimes - I'll miss you Chris! I'm out on the "razz" with 2 good friends tonight .... my first toast will be to Chris!

4 comments:

Lisa said...

Aaw Jo, I'm so sorry to hear about the loss of your dear Chris. What a huge blow. My thoughts are with his family and friends.

(PS, that's a great description of how big men make us feel, I'm SO with you on that one!)

Fizzy said...

What a cruel thing to happen. It does not feel that fair that this should happen to such a young person with so much to give. I am sorry Jo

Cool Dad said...

Jo, I hate those stories. I know a couple of big men who have passed away far too early as well and it always makes me very sad, I must say. Now, on a slightly more upbeat note, how do you feel about loud, obnoxious big men? Just wondering.

Walker said...

Thats sad and so young. I have it to check to soon. sigh