Thursday, October 20, 2005

A lovely day

You know I love my husband right BUT I have to say it's a truly lovely day when my best friend (who lives 90 miles away) can pop in for dinner because he's working just around the corner!! That's dinner with Kev 2 nights running ... lovely!

**UPDATE** Saturday night out on the "razz" was an absolute success ... the next time you're in Rochester do try Thai Four Two ~ after "drinkies" in a wide selection of local establishments, we arrived at the restaurant to see it looking very full.

Me ~ Hello, do you have a table for 3, non-smoking.

Mr Thai Four Two ~ Umm, I have a table but you'd better see it before you decide!

Alarm bells begin ringing BUT nevertheless we follow Mr Thai Four Two; through the restaurant, past lots of diners & some empty tables, past the toilets, past the kitchens, we just kept walking* ~ where the hell were we going? and out through the back door! Into a beautiful garden, with decking and Thai stone facades and sculptures, fishponds, carp, rickshaws and dugout canoes. A pergola was built over the decking and there were heaters on each of the legs pointing at ther tables and those giant patio heaters too! Wow!

Mr Thai Four Two ~ is this acceptable?

Acceptable? It was bloody gorgeous! It was like we'd been transported to Bangkok for the night; beautiful surroundings, beautiful food, fabulous company ~ you should go ... tell you what, lets make a date! Us, me and you ~ dinner on the deck, Pad Thai, coconut rice, steamed scallops and beef with oyster sauce, lots of wine and talk ~ what do you think?

*Rochester is a very very old (Norman castle) city BUT very tiny yet very important (on a river crossing and on the Roman road from London to Dover) city (it has a cathedral) .... some of the buildings have been there since Roman times, lots of the buildings are long thin Tudor buildings ~ which are long and thin because (correct me if I'm wrong ... and I know someone will) in Tudor times people were taxed on the width of the front of their house only. So lots of the buildings go a long way back!

2 comments:

Ms Mac said...

Oh, that sounds lovely! I love Thai food. OK, so I love any food but Thai food is very nice!

*Is that back in the days when folks were taxed on how many windows they had? Perhaps not. I think that was a William Pitt the Youngere thing.

Anonymous said...

Thai food is divine - even more so in a setting like that. And cool to have Kev working close by :)

I love it that if a town has a cathedral it can call itself a city, no matter how small it is!

The narrow buildings come from them being built on "burgage" plots - farm land owned by royalty/aristocracy and leased out to tenants in narrow strips around a market place/town centre (I learnt that when I did a 18th Century Lit.paper:))