Friday, October 07, 2005

The things kids say #4

**UPDATE**
"many invertebrates, like Starfish Sea Stars (thanks Ms. Mac.) have have clear or yellowish blood." I found out about it (the blood) here. And I asked Jeeves!!

Yesterday we wrote poetry about colour ~ it was magical; thanks to Fi and Lisa we had some great film of the Haka to watch ... the boys in my class were gripped right there and then. When we went away to write one of them wrote "With my magic paintbrush, I want to paint fierce All Black warriors, terrifying their enemies, playing to win!" Wow!! They then went out to play and taught the whole of the playground how to do it ... I wish I could show you pictures, it was priceless ~ as you can imagine our Australian teacher in year 6 was "over the moon!"



But halfway through, after looking at these photos one little girl (the one who runs into walls) asked ~

E - Do blue starfish have blue blood and orange starfish orange blood?

Me - I have absolutely no idea, but I will do my best to find out for you E!

So, come on guys, for E :: do blue starfish have blue blood, and orange starfish have orange blood?

7 comments:

Fizzy said...

Dear E::,
I am a duck and I live on a pond. All my family live on my pond with me. We have heard from your teacher that you want to know if blue starfish have blue blood and Orange starfish Orange blood. That is a very interesting question and it shows how interested you are in your lessons.

I have asked all around my friends on the pond to see if they know the answer. The Frog says he is very sorry but he does not know but he thinks your question is fantastic. The Dragon Fly says that if he finds out he will tell me when he is next passing, but he did want to say hello to you and all your friends. The Fish under the water gave the best answer. They say that everyone and everything on this planet is an individual. We all have something that makes us different from the person next to us. Different hair, skin colour or hair. It makes this world a very exciting world to live in. He will continue to ask around about the colour of the blood in a starfish but he wanted me to tell you what a wonderul little girl you must be to think of a fantastic question like that.
Have a good day.
love from
Mrs Duck

Ms Mac said...

Correspondence from Mrs Duck, well I never!

I am afraid to say I have no clue but I thought the pc term for starfish was sea stars now, what with them not being fish and all! ;-)

Walker said...

Now I am not sure but I think the color of the starfish depends on its surroundings,. I think it can change its color.
Now as for blood , I dont think a star fish has a heart or a brain. Ummm interesting question.

Cool Dad said...

Jo,
You should just tell her that it really doesn't matter as long as the starfish don't have crabs. See, that way you can avoid the tough questions but still provide useful information.

Le laquet said...

Wow ~ correspondance for E from Mrs Duck!! I shall pass this info on Mrs Duck; E will be pleased!

Ms Mac ~ sea stars?!? Oh my life! Thanks for the info ;O)

Walker ~ I'm glad you enjoyed it!

Tom ~thanks!! Umm - if you don't mind I'm going to avoid that one like ... a thing best left avoided!

Lisa said...

Hey, thanks for the mention about the Haka. I'm planning to post about that at some stage, but I'd really like to try getting the video of it attached to my blog first (it would help if I actually tried writing some words about it first i suppose lol).

sorry, I got no idea about the starfish thing. Do starfish even bleed? Besides, what's wrong with the colour red anyway? lol

Le laquet said...

Lisa - thank you, it truly made a difference to the poetry!