Sunday, February 12, 2006

Have your cake and eat it!

In response to Fizzy's scone* recipe, I present my Nana's recipe for boiled cake .... easy-peasy and delicious! My word guys, I think I'm becoming a food blog!

You will need ::

1 cup** of dried fruit (raisins / sultanas ... your favourites)
1 cup of sugar (I suppose it should be caster but we only ever have granulated)
1 cup of milk
4 oz of margarine

Put all the above ingredients into a saucepan and bring to a boil.
Leave to cool for 20 minutes.

Mix in ::

1 beaten egg
2 cups of self raising flour
pinch of salt

When well mixed, pour into a lined 8" cake tin.
Bake on the middle shelf of a pre-heated oven ~ gas mark 5 for 1 hour.

Sometimes I swop the cup of dried fruit for a cup of coconut and then add a cup of glac cherries ~ also delicious. With Simon (I'll cut the HUGE slices of cake for you dear!) around I also sometimes make this in muffin tins ~ so you get mini fruit cakes. I don't know why I do this because he then eats 3!

*
Fi ~ southerners in England say scone to rhyme with phone or loan, where as northerners would say scone to rhyme with gone and Ron; I say scone like a southerner! I don't know why?!? I say bath like a southerner too ~ much to the disgust of my sister-in-law!
** I have some snazzy stainless steel cups like
Nigella's but I usually just grab a tea-cup!

5 comments:

Fizzy said...

Morning Jo
Ok I think my boiiinnngggingg may hae rubbed off somehow... you want to sell me on E-bay???
little ole me??

Love this recipe looks like I may be trying this one too. I love glace cherries but they never seem to fine thier way into the cake mixture!!!

How do you put a link into your comments? I have forgotten/never done it pleeeeeeeease, when you have finished selling me that is, could you let me know how to do it.

Fi (I can't write your link here) I am a Northerner so I say scone as in gone, ron etc not like these southerners. I also say Bath, grass and glass with a short a sound as in bat, mat, unlike southeners who use a long "are" sound ....

shhhhh *whispering whilst typing* don't tell anyone Fi but northerners prounounce it correctly!!

Unknown said...

As I told Fizzy, when I was in Classical Radio, one of the on-air guys bragged that his new apartment had been decorated with "Scones" on the wall. He had a look about him as if he announced he had just returned from Neiman-Marcus.When we told him what scones were he became very upset with us correcting him! Bwahaha! Thanks for reminding me!!

Fizzy said...

Morning :)
Have a good rest this week... that is "doctor's" orders

Word verification: zozegf I could almost make the word Doozzie from it

Bennu said...

Jo,

I haven't doublechecked the recipe yet, but this sounds like my granny Bea's raisin cake. It is the only one that I have that requires boiling of something. I like the idea of using different fruit, just hadn't thought about it.

Anonymous said...

I say scone like a southerner, too!

Hi, Michele sent me :-)