Saturday, February 11, 2006

An ode to Homity Pie!

Fizzy's been making scones and it got me all fired up to spend some time in the kitchen. So getting in on the act, last night I made Homity Pie ~ it was lovely and here I present the recipe for your perusal!!

To serve 6, you will need

  • 1/2 kg of potatoes
  • 1 large onion, diced
  • 2 vegetable stock cubes
  • 2 tbsps vegetable oil
  • 1 clove garlic, crushed
  • 1 large pack frozen pastry (warm hands, I make fab bread but I ALWAYS buy frozen pastry!)
  • 3 large handfuls of grated strong Cheddar cheese
  • 50g fresh Parmesan, grated
  • Freshly chopped parsley
  • salt and pepper to taste

So, you need to ::

  1. Preheat the oven to 190 or so.
  2. Peel and cube the potatoes and place in salted water, bring to the boil and cook until al denté**, drain and cover.
  3. Place the onion, crumbled stock cubes, vegetable oil and garlic in a microwavable bowl, cover with clingfilm and cook on high until the onions are soft.
  4. Line a oven proof dish with pastry, and bake blind until "light and golden brown!" Leave to cool.
  5. Mash the potatoes*** and add the onion mixture, grated cheese and the parsley; mix well together and pile into the cooled pasty case.
  6. Sprinkle on the parmesan cheese and bake in the oven until the top is golden brown. Delicious served hot or cold or even just warm with a crisp salad in the summer or hot with baked beans in the winter!

I don't have a Homity pie picture (the camera is acting up), you don't need one do you? Just think hot cheese, potato, garlic *begins to dribble* ~ it's delicious!

*I'm afraid that I say scone to rhyme with phone and loan; not gone and Ron ... but then that just goes to show the north~south divide really well doesn't it? My sis-in-law says I'm a snob, because she doesn't ... tant pis!
** Just a little bit needed.
*** Retain some of the texture you don't want a smooth mashed potato.

3 comments:

Fizzy said...

Morrrrrrnnnnnnniiiiiiinnnnngggggggg
mmmmm never heard of homity pie before but I may just try this.
What does tant pis mean?? I can't even work out if it is French or Welsh. (but then I have only been sprung out of bed for 10mins)
Have a good day, got anything special planned?

I have my maor cleaning head on!!!

Malinda777 said...

Sounds good and different. Congratulations on being Michele's site of the day. I'll have to try the recipe.

Pat said...

Better late than never! Tant pis is French and means - so much the worse, or in this context - hard cheese!