Sunday, September 11, 2005

An A to Z of my holiday!

*coughs* I started this post yesterday last week and then an end of holiday/going back to work on Tuesday "sniffle" jumped up and bit me on the arse, and was closely followed by a "girly fainting-fit" ........ so I am updating bit-by-bit *sneezes & swoons*, and some letters come with no explanations - please let that be ok with you guys .... ok? *smiles* Thanks!!

A is for arrivé - 10-or so hours driving through the night from Boulogne on lovely french motorways! *yawns*

B is for brébis - The Basque country - a region of south-western France & north-western Spain is beautiful; famous for gorgeous mountains, sheep (- you have to know how @ home that made me feel; I'm Welsh after all) pilota, and fabulous cheese amongst other things!



The cheese is eaten, in thin slices @ the end of a meal or as a snack but always with sharp black cherry jam (or sometimes as suggested by the lovely lady in the deli @ St Jean de Luz with membrillo - Spanish quince cheese) - gorgeous! We brought some back and I bought membrillo yesterday .... today's mission is to get a picture of Simon munching!!

C is for clouds - true Lotois skies are never all blue but instead full of fluffy, sheepy clouds. Perfect for giving you 5 minutes respite from the sun!

D is for Dordogne - canoeing @ Pinsac, or just paddling from the beaches!

E is for Erromardie - as well as staying Chez le laquet Simon and I went to the coast for a couple of days and stayed @ Camping Erromardie, near St Jean de Luz.

F is for fête - Here are some photos as promised!

Me and nephew #3 at the fete

*rest coming as soon as I can get them off the lapptop*

G is for gesiers - little bits of the inside of a duck (gizzards) and eventhough I'm not keen on offal (well tripe specifically) they are delicious in Salade Lotoise with raspberry vinaigrette and walnuts!

H is for "Having a lovely time, weather's great ... wish you were here!"

I is for ice-cream

J is for Jo's birthday - I reached the grand old age of *coughs loudly* 36 on August 14th! Hurrah!!

K is for Kevan - who got a new job whilst I was away and now needs to get a passport and go and visit Vin and Don - are you listening Kevan?

L is for lawn mower

M is for marché

N is for noix

O is for oopa (phew thanks Walker!)

P is for painting

Q is for quince

R is for Rocamadour

S is for St Jean de Luz

T is for trailer tent

U is for utilisé l'Internet en France

V is for Vin/vin

W is for weather

X is for ..........., what is X for? X is for eXtra large / eXtraordinary ..... but I can't think of anything to do with my holiday, so have some eXtra photos to mull over! *coming as soon as I can get them off the laptop*

Y is for *checks to see if you notice* barbecue (I know I'm cheating, but I had lots for b and couldn't fit it in!!)

Z is for zoological specimens everywhere

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like it was a wonderful holiday.

And Happy 36th Jo! All the best people were born in 1969, but you knew that already ;)

Walker said...

Happy Birthday! You get it now because I didn't know about it sooner. Just think of it being today and your 28 days younger. :D
Loved the list, you sound like you had a great time.
Have a nice day.

Fizzy said...

I didn't know it was your Birthday whilst you were away. Happy birthday.
All summer you have kept me enthralled with stories of this lovely part of France and now you talk Cheeeeeese .... yum yum. Have a good week/day

Ms Mac said...

We missed your birthday? Happy belated birthday my dear!
Also, that cheese eaten with the jam sounds fab!

Lisa said...

Ooo, that's a bit sneaky about your birthday. I'll let you off considering you were dealing with dial up at the time. lol

Sounds like you both had a terrific holiday. How wonderful.

and a belated Happy Birthday to you!

Fizzy said...

I sent you an E-mail I hope you got it.

Fizzy said...

I have re sent it. I hope you get it this time, if not let me know and I will resort to plan B

-E said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog the other day. I appreciate it. Your ABCs make your vacation sound like a ton of fun that I am jealous about!

Doris said...

What a great holiday summary! Including barbeque for Y!!!!

Hope you feel better soon :-)