Saturday, September 10, 2005

One week down!

Had a bit of a strange week in school - we started work with the children in school on Monday .... what's so strange about that I hear you ask? Well, normally we (teachers) come back on a Monday and have 1 or 2 staff training days and the children only do 3 days in their first week. I think this is a much better idea - not for me* you understand - for the children! They are so little, and by yesterday - after 6 weeks of TV and relaxation - they were so knackered and grumpy!! And it's been so hot and we've all been so busy - hell I haven't even had time to blog or blog-trawl!

Yesterday morning was nowhere near as warm as the rest of the week has been - much cooler .... children came in quite happily BUT one little chap had to be peeled off his mother and proceeded to cry (sob in fact, snail trails of snot, dry heaves - the whole kit and caboodle) for the whole of the first morning session!! Just what we all needed - I was sympathetic ... honest, lots of back rubbing, clean tissues, "what's the matter lovely?" Eventually I gave up on him learning anything in that state & sat him in a comfy chair (all cosy-wosy!) in the book corner with a teddy and a copy of Kipper (one of personal favourites!!) Peace at last!!

So the day progressed - literacy before play, numeracy after .... the all singing all dancing Jo 2.1 version was in full flow. Interactive whiteboard going like mad, singing tidy-up songs, hive-fives, gold stars - phew! Finally dinner time came around .... on Friday's I do "dinner duty" - can you imagine? 170 children, 170 lots of "go-on, 1 more bite just for me! Fruit before chocolate please! Have you washed your hands?" 2 children sent home with nasty cuts and bruises full of gravel. 1 lad talking to the head of infants after throwing slices of tomato around the hall! And, suddenly, the bell was going for the end of lunch and it was back to class for an art / design technology afternoon!

I did the register, quickly nipped to the loo and hit the bathroom floor! It had suddenly got hotter, very humid in fact. I hadn't had lunch, not even taken 5 minutes for a drink and it all got a little much! I wobbled to the nearest classroom (grey faced and clammy) and was quickly hustled outside to a shady bench with ice-packs and cold drinks and a sick bucket - which I mortified myself by using in front of everyone! And was home in bed asleep by 3.20!


coyote

Genius - no! Tit in a trance - umm, yes probably! Embarrassed - hell, yes! I have a doctor's appointment on Monday - I will get this sorted .... blood pressure checks, blood tests etc needed I think! This weekend sleep needed too! I'm off back to bed for a while!

*[I can hear the shouts of methinks she doth protest too much winging around the globe as you read!!]

6 comments:

Katya Coldheart said...

awwww poor you, i hope its nothing too serious...i'm sure you'll be right as rain next week...

and rigby & peller, how much do you earn being a blimin teacher...they are outta my league...

and m&s do F cup, i've bought them, they only do them in certain ranges though...

and bravissimo is brilliant, they have stores dotted about the country too, i'm off to the manchester one today or tomorrow...

hope you have a good weekend...a bit of bed rest and lots of love and attention methinks...

:0)

Le laquet said...

Katya - thankyou for your kind thoughts, I have told Simon and he grunted!!

Rigby & Peller - I only buy 3 a year as M & S don't do an F cup for me (42F - Simon always asks what the F stands for ..... flipping hell look @ the size of those is his favourite response!!) I will have to look up my nearest Bravissimo store!

Have a great weekend!

Ms Mac said...

I get the Bravissimo catalogue but they don't deliver outside of the UK! Boo! I love their little tops with built in bras but they don't come in my size either. Double Boo! But I love Bravissimo!

But may I ask, I am quite sure I remember always doing maths first thing in the morning and reading and English in the arvie. Ostensibly because kids are supposed to be at their most alert in the am. Is that all changed now?

Le laquet said...

Stella - that's a bummer, can you not get the PO to do a re-direct? Mind it would be a good excuse to get your friends in the UK to visit - loaded down with Bravissimo lingerie!!

As much as possible we still try to do all literacy & numeracy (UK government speak for English & maths) in the morning - you're dead right about the children being more alert!

Anonymous said...

I thoroughly enjoyed your entry! I think it's awesome you can still keep such a sense of humor even when not feeling well. You obviously teach very young children; what grade level I wonder? Congrats on the week down!

PS - Thanks for stopping by my blog and the kind comment!

Le laquet said...

Joan - they are little ones, currently they're all either 5 or 6 - a mixed age class, British year 1 and 2.