Thursday, July 14, 2005

1 week on

Today at 12 noon along with millions of people around the UK, Europe and the world my class and I stood in silence for 2 minutes to remember the people affected by last Thursday's atrocities. We talked about our stories - dads who didn't get home until late, an uncle who got stuck in the Blackwall tunnel because of the traffic, one child talking about mum crying because daddy was home and she loved him! We talked about our friendships in class and why we liked our friends. Nobody said "he's my friend because he's a Sikh!" Or "I like him because he believes in the same God as I do."

I lit a candle, we stood in a circle and held hands. We stood together - white and black, Christian, Muslim, Hindu and Sikh and remembered. And then we quietly got ready to go for lunch, and one child asked "Why did they want to kill those people Mrs L?" And I couldn't answer - what could I say? And then another child put an arm around his shoulder and said "come with us, we can play pirates until lunchtime - you're my friend!"

8 comments:

Fizzy said...

I was at home at midday. I looked on the TV at the time of the 2 mins silence and my thoughts went back to last Thursday. Those poor families, friends, collegues..... I can not imagine.
This horror has come very close to where I live this week with the identity and areas of residence of the bombers being revealed. There is a lot of shick here right now, but thankfully the leaders of our city followed the lead set by the little kids in your class and at midday they too stood in unity in public in a stand against this horror.

Sara said...

I remember many similar moments a few years ago after our twin towers in NYC fell. Why it takes tragedy to bring out the good in us I'll never understand.

We feel your pain and our hearts go out to you and your entire nation.

And your kids are lucky to have you for a teacher :)

Anonymous said...

It's hard enough to comprehend as an adult, let alone as a child.

(And slinky girl is right; they are lucky to have you for a teacher)

Le laquet said...

Fizzy - it must be incredibly hard, I'm glad everyone is standing together.

Slinky - thankyou!

Fi - hi, how's your lawns? Thankyou too!!

Fizzy said...

Morning Jo, I am sorry, I made another typo,"Shick =shock". Duh.
Any news on the baby?
Have a good day. Lets hope that the children in our care have more sense when they grow than those that have caused this tragedy.

Katya Coldheart said...

they are so glad to have you as a teacher, its hard to explain the unexplainable...

any news on the baby...??? keeping my fingers crossed...

:0)

Recovery Road London said...

Great post. Thanks for sharing it.

Le laquet said...

Fizzy - spinellg waht use is it aynawy?

Katya - thankyou that's sweet, I've been "Miss Strict" all afternoon ... so they're not very happy!

No, no baby news - I've told her to go out and drive over some cattle grids!!

Kenny - thanks!