Monday, July 18, 2005

In response to Walker's marinated strawberries!



One of my favourite and very easiest summer desserts is Eton Mess; so named because it is supposedly traditionally served at Eton College on the 4th June (- why the 4th of June??? ** I'd want to eat it every day!!)

Serves 4, you will need

  • 250ml double or whipping cream
  • 4 meringues
  • 1 punnet of strawberries, hulled
  • 1 punnet of raspberries
  • 2 tbsps icing sugar, sifted
  • juice of 1/2 lemon

Ok, the method

  1. Whisk the cream until it forms soft peaks.
  2. Break up the meringues in a large bowl. Add in the strawberries, raspberries, caster sugar and lemon juice, gently folding together.
  3. Gradually, fold in the whipped cream.
  4. Divide the mixture among 4 dishes, serve and enjoy!
On Saturday evening my M-I-L made a version of Eton mess using only strawberries; however (this is where you realise the linker to Walker's strawberries!), she marinated the strawberries in aged balsamic vinegar before adding them to the cream - delicious!!

*I try to use chewy meringues - such as French meringues à la ancienne
** The 4th June @ Eton is in fact Parent's Day

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

I want some too!!!! It looks delicious

Fizzy said...

I want one tooo I amy even try it ... I can't burn i can I ?

Humor Girl said...

My mouth is watering!! :)

Fizzy said...

ooo and soft sticky meringues ... are the best .

Katya Coldheart said...

i loooooove chewy meringues...mmmmmmm...i'm hungry now...lol

:0)

Katya Coldheart said...

i got harry potter at tesco at half past midnight...i just couldn't wait, although i've read a bit, i'm no where near the end...

did you get the american version...i'm so jealous if you did...

:0)

Lisa said...

OMG that sounds and looks DIVINE!!

Chewy meringues are the BEST!

Damn, I want some of that right now lol

Walker said...

They look delicious,MMMMMMMMM Are they legal.
Ok off to the fruit store tomorrow.
Have a nice day Jo

Doris said...

This is truly a divine dessert - I daren't make it for the kids or they'd never have "straight" strawberries and cream again!

Le laquet said...

Oh my - 9 comments for a recipe? I'm going to give you another one next Monday!!!!

Jo xx

Recovery Road London said...

My teeth are aching just reading that (well, what teeth I have left...lol)

Le laquet said...

Kenny - lol!!! Ouch - don't make me think of that again!