Monday, July 11, 2005

My favourite quotes/lines

Some make me chuckle, some make me breathe deeply - others I should live my life by!

"I thought coq au vin was love in a lorry."
Victoria Wood


"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will eat for the rest of his life." Chinese Proverb

Lady Mary Astor to Winston Churchill at a party, "Sir, if I were your wife I'd poison your drink." Churchill - "Madame, if I were your husband I'd drink it!"

"Peace begins with a smile." Mother Teresa

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." Mark Twain

"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others." Grouch Marx

"An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind." (attributed) Mahatma Gandhi

"Anything is good if it's made of chocolate." Jo Brand

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." Eleanor Roosevelt

And then, there's the fabulous Mr Izzard "Performing enhancing drugs are banned in the Olympics. Ok, we can swing with that. But performance debilitating drugs should not be banned. Smoke a joint and win the hundred meters, fair play to you. That's pretty damn good. Unless someone's dangling a Mars bar off in the distance. "

Go on - comment, let me know a quote that means something to you!

9 comments:

Out Of Jersey said...

I love Eddie Izzard, he's funny as anything. I loved his bit about teaching the monkey sign language.

"How do you like being a monkey?"
"It's alright."

I don't think I have a particularly favorite quote. But I do have a story I often:

Two kids broke into a store, but they didn't steal anything. All they did was change around the price tags. A radio was now marked for twenty-five cents while a clothespin was $200. The management didn't even realize the change until much later in the day. So many people were able to buy expensive items for cheap, while ones of lesser value were given great value.

Humor Girl said...

I love quotes...I can't think of my favorite one off the top of my head...but I'll think on it and come back to you! ;)

Thanks for visiting!

Out Of Jersey said...

You know who hayseed dixie is?

Walker said...

Ha Ha chocolate.

Without the right material, no matter how good you are, you may not accomplish the task...Chinese proverb.

Been trying to teach that to my father all day LOL

Cool Dad said...

"Algunos gustos merecen palos."--Paraguayan proverb that means "Some tastes merit sticks". I like it because it really means to each his own.

I also like the "No man is an Iland" quote by John Donne as I believe the bell tolls for all of us. Especially in light of the bombings there in London, I think it appropriate.

Sara said...

I'd have to throw this one in:

We are all worms, but I do belive that I am a glowworm. ~Winston Churchill

It's a lovely reminder to me that even when I feel like I'm at the bottom of the heap, I can always keep glowing!

Ms Mac said...

It's not particularly funny and not particularly clever but I won a game once by knowing that John DeLorean once said, "Would you buy a used car from me?"

Le laquet said...

Thanks everyone - so sorry I've been a "lax commentor" - tired!!!

Anonymous said...

favourite quotes would include "Work is the curse of the drinking classes" - W C Fields and "When I read of the evils of drink, I stopped reading" Henry Youngman. Also " I have never taken any exercise except sleeping and resting" Mark Twain and "When I stay in an hotel, I want everything all the time, even when I dont want it" Zsa Zsa Gabor. Can you see a link here? indolence and alcohol. ah well thats my secret out then!