Saturday, July 09, 2005

Mama used to say

Following a post (by Walker) when I commented

"Why does everyone's mother say that "it's lucky if a bird poops on you"? I mean, my mother's Welsh ... your's is Greek ... is there a multilingual mother's handbook full of dumb sayings out there that we don't know about?"
....... here is a list of my mother's favourites!!

Don't go out without clean underwear on in case you have an accident, what will the ambulance man think?
Do you think I was born yesterday?
She's bad in bed under the doctor!
A bird poo-ing on your head is lucky!
Never trust a man with small hands or crepe soled shoes!! (One of my Nana's I think!!)
Don't do what I do, do what I tell you!
If you're too ill to go to school, you're too ill to go out!
Always keep a £5 in your bra in case you need to take a taxi home!!
Do you want a smack?

Granny's fallen off the roof (euphenism for the "time of the month")


You won't find my comments/responses here, because a) my mother reads my blog and b) I've already had complaints about my language!! However, please feel free to add to the list - I'm sure she will!! :o)


Fizzy adds (see comments for others!)
Wait 'til your father gets home!
If girls were expected to wear earrings then they would be born with holes in their ears!

And from Walker
Don't step over your brother its bad luck, now go backwards so it didn't happen.
If you don't eat your veggies you'll never grow.
If a crow is outside your house someone will die. WRONG!!!! it dumps on your shoulder for luck.

9 comments:

Fizzy said...

I hope that the pain in your should dies down soon. And that you sleep better tonight.

My Mum used to say:
1)wait 'till you father gets home

2)if you are too ill to go to school then you are to ill to play

3)* something that is too embarrassing to type*

4)my Nana would say that my sister always had dirty legs and would refuse to believe that they were bruises... "girls don't get that many bruises"

5)go to bed without any tea

6) If girls were expected to wear earings then they would be born with holes in thier ear (my Dad's fave answer to why we could not have out ears peirced)

7) Granny would say, a mother must always look after herself, not neglect her self, because if she is not well then her family won't be (my fave)

8) Granny, "I'm falling off the perch "

Le laquet said...

Fizzy - my mother always "struck" whilst the iron was hot ..... neve waited until Dad got home!! Thanks for those!

Fizzy said...

no probs it makes my skin creep just imagining those words. *shiver*

Walker said...

1. don't step over your brother its bad luck, now go backwards so it didn't happen.
2. If you don't eat your veggies you'll never grow.
3. If a crow is outside your house someone will die. WRONG!!!! it dumps on your shoulder for luck.
have a nice weekend

Anonymous said...

My mom said a lot of similar things, but what she's saying now is even more remarkable.

She's gotten into this habit of saying "helloooo" when anyone tells her something that gives her a surprise or raises an eyebrow. It's like you'd be telling me something and I'd say as I listened, "really?" or "is that right?". Mom says this "helloooo" that's driving us all quite mad lately. Even my kids have noticed and mentioned it to me lol.

Mom's been watching too much Comedy Central on television lately, methinks ;~)

Hope your shoulder feels better! Did you pull a muscle? Ouch!

Ms Mac said...

My mum used to say such crazy things too. Now she still says them but repeats it a few times for good measure too!

Love ya Mum!

Heather said...

My mom's mantra was:

"Don't smart off to me, young lady!"

Sara said...

I'll chime in, but it's not just moms who say these things... my dad got into the show as well!

* don't make me stop this car (note, do NOT reply with "But Dad, I'm not making you do anything.")

*put on a sweater, I'm cold.

*one day your face will freeze like that (when making faces at siblings)

*I brought you into this world, I can take you out of it.

Katya Coldheart said...

ha, i always keep money in my bra on a night out so i'm never short on cab fare...hey it might be daft but it works...lol

:0)