Saturday, July 02, 2005

FOOD!

Can you tell I'm on a healthy eating plan? Can you? Is my "obsession" with food giving it away at the moment? Here's (in no particular order) a couple of favourites for you!
Favourite meal - Foie gras, pan fried; any day / every day!
Favourite restaurant - La Garissade, Labastide Murat, France. Just down the road from Mum and Dad - fab!! Had dinner there one evening and Raymond Blanc was @ the next table; yes that Raymond Blanc!! Wonderful food; lovely people!
Favourite supper - Kellogg's cornflakes, ice cold full-fat milk, sprinkling of sugar! Or a fish-finger sandwich, on white of course!
Favourite tinned soup - Heinz Cream of Tomato, is there any other kind?
Favourite biscuit (that's a cookie to anyone speaking American) - McVities Milk Chocolate digestive, dunked in tea (not coffee!) - I think it's a British thing!! In fact why don't you go & have a nice cup of tea and a sit down?
Favourite family recipe - Nana's soup; beef lentils, carrots, onions, pasnips and potatoes! But I also liked my Grampa's fritters and Cornish pasties (my mother will cringe &/or disown me over these items!) My Grampa was a chef in the Merchant Navy, he worked for BP whilst they were still called Anglo Iranian Oil and was at sea for over 50 years! He had been to pretty much every country in the world with a sea-port and would/did cook anything and expect us to eat it!! My mother still has nightmare's about some of his food!!
Favourite sandwich - roasted vegetables and cheese (hot/melted) with a balsamic dressing on the vegetables on Italian bread - ciabatta, foccacia etc. I like Subway too ..... nearest one to me right now is Dartford (21 miles!!) - bit of a bummer! And "quand je suis en France" I love a "croque monsieur" or two "naturellement, avec des frites!"
Favourite fast food outlet - In the UK it has to be KFC - delicious, Zinger Tower burger, fries and gravy *wipes drool off enter key* - God Bless the Colonel! But in the US it is most definitely Taco Bell. Burritos, tacos, empanadas and now they do one of these - wow!
Dear Mr Taco Bell,
please come and open a restaurant in the UK!
Love & kisses - Jo xx

Favourite take away - The Grange Tandoori, Indian food at its best* - fantastic service, gorgeous food and just around the corner! Simon prefers Chinese - specifically Kung Fu - but give me the Grange's chicken tikka anyday!
Favourite sea food - scallops :: pan fried (my own recipe), steamed (spring onions & soy sauce), Coquille St Jacques &/or raw, thinly sliced with chilli and lime juice - delish!
Favourite "eat as much as you can like buffet" - called buffet a volonté in France, I visited lots of these in the US (they do the best breakfast buffets in the whole wide world .... just my humble opinion - feel free to pull me up on this!) but my favourite is the Buffet a volonté @ le Tahiti, Narbonne Plage, France. Buffet starter, main meal and buffet cheese &/or dessert. Or you can do a Jo and just buffet, buffet, buffet - soupe de poisson, shellfish, charcuterie, salads, pate, cheese, desserts; oh and fruit just in case you are watching your weight!
Favourite comfort food - sausage, mash & onion gravy. Simon's onion gravy is to die for - you should try it!!!! Come on over - email me if you're in the UK - delicious!

Favourite hangover cure - A great British fry-up anyday. Eggs, bacon (dry cure), sausages (pork for me & Simon, pork & beef for my parents), fried potatoes (not hash-browns, bubble & squeak at a push), tomatoes (tinned not fresh) &/or beans, black pudding (Tesco's for me, but Asda's as a close second; Sainsbury's - bleugh!) and a fried slice! Mugs of tea and 2/3/4 trashy papers/mags to read ........... takes the pain away better than Andrew's anyday!

So ........ what are you eating today?

BTW *drum roll*

*But I have to say that one of the dinner ladies in work makes gorgeous potato parathas for me/us - orgasmic

6 comments:

Deb @ Sugarfused said...

Gosh Jo, some of that stuff I've never heard of!! I may have to sample that new Taco Bell item soon. Scallops are my favorite seafood, too...and I could eat cereal every night for dinner and be happy ;~)

Have a wonderful Saturday!!

Fizzy said...

YOu must be sticking to your healthy eating plan really well if you are drooling over all those.
My faves are quite similar. Hubby cooks fanatastic indian food, bahjis, rice dishes, currys the whole kit and kaboodle. ButI lve a british fry up (but I don't drink tea)
sausage and mash... ymmmmy (may need to e-mail you)
absolutely love mussels with grlic, and bread mmmmmmmm. A real weakling if cheescake or ice cream is involved.
and I would dip my choccy bics in my hot chocolate.
love fresh bread, proper cheese and cut meats and salad
Congrats on loosing 10lbs

Lisa said...

Hey! Way to go on the weightloss! 10lbs, that's FANTASTIC! Go Jo!

I too, haven't heard of half of this. My fav seafood is oysters, raw dipped in a little vinegar, yum! some of your combinations, re sandwiches etc are completely foreign to me. I can't imagine putting roast veges with cheese on bread (or fishfingers for that matter, but that's cos I dislike them). lol

Cool Dad said...

Jo, why? Why do you post this now? I am fighting an urge to eat something really good and I read this post. Great....now what? Oh, Taco Bell sounds delicious and its just down the street. Ha!!

Walker said...

Your doing GREAT!!!!!!!!
You'd hate it here I live, 10 walking minutes form McD's, Subway, Harveys, Quieznos and a 10 minute drive from Taco Bell, Burger King, Pizza Hut, and 200 other food take out joints.

Recovery Road London said...

I like food. All food. I am hungry. Now. Feed me. Please.

**burp**