Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Blog Fodder #9

This week’s topic was submitted by Rob, over at My Bloody Great Nutshell.

Name a sensory input(s) which trigger a mood change be it uplifting, depressing, poignancy or remind you of a past event or period in time. Examples - the smell of an aftershave or perfume, a song, a baby crying, the sound of a Vegas slot machine, the feel of clean sheets, the taste of a childhood drink.

Good question Rob ~ so many things ... the smell of my Gran's perfume, the song we all used to sing in the car on long journeys, the smell of cappucino in an Italian Cafe, home-cooked chips for a Saturday lunch-time treat.

But more than any other, the smell of vanilla ~ it always takes me back to making custard in the kitchen at home with my Nana on a Sunday afternoon. To serve with apple crumble. Or some other dessert that we'd made for tea. I spent Sunday afternoons baking with my Nan ~ Victoria sandwiches, pikelets or crumbles. Occasionally scones or rock buns. We'd all eat Sunday lunch together, she'd have a nap and then we'd hit the kitchen! Strange, it was my grandad (Dad's dad) who was the merchant navy cook, yet it was my Nana (Mum's Mum) who seems to have first interested me in cooking. Even now (25 years later) when I make a winter stew (not a casserole, that recipe is all my own) it's my Nana's method / recipe I use ~ stewing steak, onions, red lentils, parsnips and carrots, potatoes added fro the last 30 minutes of cooking to thicken the broth. Delicious!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mmmm, pikelets, a big favourite of mine from childhood.

'specially with lots of jam and a big dollop of cream.

Now how do you say scones - to rhyme with cons or phones?

Teena in Toronto said...

I love the smell of vanilla too.

And I love stews! Invite me over next time you make one :)

Mine's up too :)

Anonymous said...

Great answer - I don't know why, but I never thought of adding vanilla to custard. I'll have to give that a try!