Tuesday, June 14, 2005

Bed & Breakfast for Tom

So I ummed and aahed, heeed and hawed and have come up with a couple of places that I have been to and loved!! You'll find they are mostly in Wales ... but with a name like Tom Jones - you'll be fine!!

Preswylfa in Aberdyfi (Aberdovey in English) - Marion & Jim were fantastic, when I stayed here with Kev a few years ago. Over looking the beach/estuary - the view from the bedroom window was to die for! The walk down to the pubs of the village at night was short and steep, the walk back was ..... hard work but by that point we didn't care! Set within the Snowdonia National Park the mountain scenery around was fantastic and there were loads of places nearby to visit - like Portmeirion, Yr Eryri (Snowdon), the Snowdon Railway & Llyn Tegid (Lake Bala in English) to name but a few.

Fairyhill in Reynoldston, Gower - more of a country hotel, but absolutely fabulous and worthwhile for a night or two ..... an amazing place from which to discover the beauty of the Gower. Reynoldston is at the base of Cefn Bryn - an old red sandstone ridge that forms the backbone of Gower, the road over Cefn Bryn twists past sink holes, like Broad Pool and finally passes Arthur's Stone (a Neolithic burial tomb - the legends are of course more romantic) on the summit of Cefn Bryn! None of the superb Gower beaches are far away - including Port Eynon, Oxwich and my personal favourite Llangennith. If Fairyhill is to expensive, I know they do B&B at the King Arthur Hotel, also in Reynoldston - Kev says it's lovely there!

Pendinas in Solva, Pembrokeshire is lovely. Great views, very nice people! Solva is gorgeous, tiny little harbourside town set within the Pembrokeshire Coast National Park (the only coastal national park in Wales/UK.) Only a short drive from the city of St David's with it's beautiful cathedral and the beaches of Newgale, Broad Haven and Little Haven - divine!

Rua Reidh Lighthouse, Melvaig, Gairloch, Ross-shire - I don't think I need to say anything else about this one! Also in Gairloch, near the harbour is The Old Inn - fantastic beer selection (the real stuff Tom!)

Also worth a look - The Bell Inn at Skenfrith, Monmouthshire - fab countryside, good fishing, lovely food!

Hope you enjoy the tour! You, your wife and the moustached one et al should come for a visit!!

7 comments:

Lisa said...

Oh my god, I so want to travel and see all those places up close and personal! I love all those little cottage old english (welsh) places. Thanks for showing me them Jo :)

Cool Dad said...

Ahhh. Now I am totally geeked to go there. I have this big book of B&B's that I am cross-referencing as I write this. I had planned to visit about 4 years ago with my parents, but then the whole finding a wife thing got in the way. I will make it there at some point and we will all come and visit. Thanks Jo.

Recovery Road London said...

I have very fond memories of Aberdovey. I also fell off of the harbour wall one night (I was drunk surprise, surprise)....luckily it was high tide.

:)

Le laquet said...

Sara - it's gorgeous, and a lot of Wales is like NZ, very green, fab beaches and the whole sheep thing!

Tom - you're welcome! You'd have a fab time!

Kenny - yeh, me too (the fond memories bit), except I didn't fall in the harbour! And we had to walk back up the hill each night too!

Recovery Road London said...

Those hills are naughty: they used to wobble and sway when I walked up them in those days...

:)

Walker said...

Hmmmm I had posted a comment here but I guess bloggr ate it.
What I sauid was I like the green grass everywhere and the open spaces. I could get lost in my thoughts there.

Le laquet said...

Kenny - lol!! Yeh right!

Walker - Wales is very beautiful, I miss it a lot living here in over populated, built-up Kent!