Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Desert Island Discs

I love Desert Island Discs and can't wait for the day that Kirsty herself rings for me to pop along to BBC Radio 4 to record my own show - you know it's only a matter of time don't you? And when she does I'll be choosing ...


1. Joni Mitchell ~ Big Yellow Taxi ~ makes me think of being young, I remember my Mum singing it when I was a kid. Love the environmental message ~ before her time!
2. Counting Crows ~ Accidentally in Love ~ love it, love them! Pretty much anything by them is guaranteed to get me on the dance floor ... even if it happens to be in my kitchen/shower.
3. Lynyrd Skynyrd ~ Sweet Home Alabama ~ brilliant song, love the riff, love to sing along and play air-guitar to it, love the fact that Kid Rock sampled and quoted it in All Summer Long.
4. Earth, Wind and Fire ~ September ~ I love disco, I loved matching their stage shows, the costumes, their album art work and the songs were some of the best 70s music out there. Ditto to the dance floor comment further up.
5. Fine Young Cannibals ~ Suspicious Minds ~ I loved the FYCs, there was an amazing tone to Roland Gift's voice, it used to give me shivers. I liked most of their tracks but particularly this cover of Elvis Presley's Suspicious Minds. I liked his version too btw ;o)
6. Nina Simone ~ Feeling good ~ Birds flying high you know how I feel, Sun in the sky you know how I feel, Reeds driftin on by you know how I feel Its a new dawn, Its a new day, Its a new life for me, And I'm feeling good! Fabulous - written by Anthony Newley you know?? Him that was married to Joan Collins. Who'd have think it? When it plays as Bridget Fonda arrives in her new appartment in The Assassin and looks out on the ocean for the first time ~ I know just how she feels.
7. Dusty Springfield ~ Son of a Preacher Man ~ Burt Bacharach is quoted as saying "you could hear just three notes and you knew it was Dusty." To be honest this could be any song by her ~ Little by Little, The look of love ... it's just that I too had my "moment" with the son of a preacher man *wink*
8. Take That ~ Shine ~ I love Take That and I can say that with no embarrassment or shame, I'm proud of the fact. AND I love this song - Mark Owen, cheeky-little-chappie that he is giving it his all. I can press the repeat button on the CD changer in the car and sing it again and again and again.
I've got to stop now I'm only allowed 8 songs ... I could go on and on ... Dean Martin, Frank, The Eagles, Kenny Rogers and a whole lot more C & W, Billie Holiday, Bare Naked Ladies, Snow Patrol, Duran Duran etc. etc. etc. But it's just not to be. Anyway back to the D.I.D., so now I have to choose just one record as my favourite, a book to read and a luxury item to take with me.
1 song ~ Feelin' Good
1 book ~ The Eight
1 luxury item ~ my Liz Earle cleanser and cloth
Enjoy!

4 comments:

Ms Mac said...

I love that Shine song too. When I got the Take That cd, it all but jumped off the disc at me.

Le laquet said...

I'm not going to dignify your question by answering it. Go and be happy clappy elsewhere

Unknown said...

Now that is an eclectic list - you won't get bored. Love Nina Simone!

Laura said...

Michael Buble does a nice rendition of it as well. Have you heard it?