Tuesday, October 03, 2006

Out of the mouths of babes

clouds and sun

Our last little gaggle of three year olds started last Wednesday. The tiny little ones. Including 2 screamers ~ luckily 1 in the morning and 1 in the afternoon ... I don't know what we'd have done if they'd been in the same session :o)

Anyway one of them a little girl Lauren was so very brave on Wednesday, after the first initial screams (as I wrestled her away from Mum and Dad) we went to the book corner and had a bit of a read and she calmed right down. However the rest of the morning was spent repeating the same script

Lauren ~ Mummy coming for me soon.

Me ~ Yes, darling, she'll be here soon.

Lauren ~ *big brave smile* Coming in a minute?

Me ~ Yes that's right in a minute.

At 11.30 she leapt off the steps into her dad's arms and happily went off chattering to them / herself. When Thursday morning came around Lauren was wise to my wrestling techniques and I had to pry her off Mum like a limpet. Dad rang mid-morning (obviously worried about his little darling) and we had a long chat. I comforted this man-mountain (6' 4" and probably 25 stone +) and he left his mobile phone number so we could ring if she got too upset. And at 11.30 he arrived on his own and she leapt again to shouts of "my daddy."

And then on Thursday night tragedy struck. Lauren's daddy was killed in a car crash on the way home from work. What do you say? 34 years old, 2 young children. Gone.

Yesterday morning at snack time I noticed rain clouds rolling in and pointed them out to the children.


Me ~ Gosh look at those huge rain clouds. I think we'll need our wellies and brollies on the way home don't you?

Lauren ~ Mummy says my daddy's up there. Watching me. He can see me all the time.

Me ~ *through tears* Yes darlin' he can.

8 comments:

Ms Mac said...

How tragic. That poor family.

Fizzy said...

It is very very tragic and what can you say?

Cheryl said...

Shit.
Poor Lauren.
Her poor mum.
Poor you, on the edges of all this.

Chin up. I know you think things couldnt be blacker for little Lauren but they could - imagine her life if she had a disassociated teacher on top of it all. I imagine she's also short on people to share that life is wonderful, right now, so you are very needed.

:-)

An Extraordinary woman in a mediocre life said...

What an awful thing to happen. There's not much more you can say is there?

xxxxx

Lisa said...

OMG, how tragic. I feel so sorry for that young family.

I'm so glad that Lauren had you there for her Jo.

MaR said...

oh, no, I thought this was going to be a cute post about Lauren...I am so sorry, what a terrible thing to happen...

Rainypete said...

Children are far more resilient than we can ever understand. I was at a funeral once where a 5 year old sat next to his mother who was in tears. He reached up and took her hand and whispered in her ear that it would be okay because they had each other still.

Great! Now I was in tears!

Never underestimate the little ones. They seem to be carrying all of the real strength in the world.

Deb @ Sugarfused said...

Oh my...how terribly sad. Poor little girl and my heart goes out to her family.