Tuesday, November 08, 2005

A beer and a ham sandwich please!

In response to Fizzy's comment on this post ... I had to admit that speaking other languages is all about me being in control. And being able to communicate ... I can't cope if I can't communicate :: verbally or not to other people ... in 40 years time I'll be that little old lady wandering around the supermarket talking to everyone ... enquiring what you think about the price of onions, chattering to babies in prams ... that'll be me! It'll be the rest of you too, because after all isn't that why we're here blogging? Because we love to communicate?

Anyways ... getting slightly off subject (no change there) ... the first phrase I tend to learn as an adult if I am going anywhere is "a beer and a ham sandwich please*" ... so come on, help me out ... add to my list :o)

French ~ une biere et un sandwich au jambon s'il vous plait

Welsh ~ un beint o gwrw a brechdan o gig moch os gwelwch yn dda

Spanish ~ una cerveza y un bocadillo de jamón por favor

Dutch ~ een bier en een ham te klemmen gelieve

German ~ ein Bier und ein Schinkensandwich bitte

Italian ~ una birra e un panino di prosciutto per favore

*It used to be a beer, a ham sandwich and 200 marlboros but I gave up about 5 years ago.

6 comments:

Fizzy said...

Morning, I too love to talk and communicate. I chat to anyone on buses and my kids often walk away shaking thier heads with dispair.

Unfortunatley I can not speak an other language except Yorkshire...
Give us a ham sandwich and beer love ( pronounced "luv")

Have a good day Jo

Fizzy said...

Beware of the Chicken Pox

Katya Coldheart said...

people chat to me on buses, normally the weirdos...i'm dreading public transport to get to my jury service...agh

did you get my email about the xmas card...???

:0)

Lisa Durbin said...

That's hilarious! When I moved to Montreal, the first thing I learned was how to order a beer and a pack of cigs in French.

Le laquet said...

Fizzy ~ I'm all for "ive us a ham sandwich and a beer luv!" I have luckily/unluckily already suffered 2 doses of chicken pox ... fingers crossed!

Magpie ~ my dad says I have a "weirdo" magnet ... I get them all!

Lisa ~ all the important words first!!

Walker said...

Mia beera ke ena sabon sandwich- Greek
but i suggest souzlaki its made with roasted pork
I learned enough.
birra prosciutto del panino- Italian
I dont remember the russian :(