Friday, November 04, 2005

I fell in love with ...

... Simon on the Internet, he made me laugh and cry and think and dream ... and then he rang me and his voice on the phone was ... gorgeous! Sexy and oh so confident sounding ~ yum! And he wrote beautiful emails that made me realise that I wanted to spend the rest of my life with him before we had even met ... not that I told him that of course! And then 6 weeks later he travelled to Gillingham to meet me ~ I booked him a room at the local hotel and we cancelled it and we stayed awake all weekend and then I felt like I'd lost a limb when he went home two days later.

Well, eventually he moved here and the rest as they say is history ... and he is a wonderful guy ~ loving, caring, supportive and he still makes me laugh and we only get very minor ufck-up's ever so occaisionally.

But the thing he has a major problem with is my job ~ not the good bits i.e. the salary (still currently the only salary), the long holidays, the ability to finish at 3.15 if I need to BUT he has a problem with what he sees as the "over and above the call of duty" bits! The 5 hours planning and preparation on a Sunday, the parts of the job that are not teaching. I think that when I first met Simon he was under the impression (like so many people*) that teachers worked from 9 until 3 and that was it! As a class teacher, I spend 2 or so hours every evening marking the days work and then another 45 minutes preparing interactive white board or PowerPoint files for the next day's work. I rarely get to sit and eat lunch as 2 days a week I perform a senior lunchtime supervisory role in KS2.

I'm the Data manager; I track the children's progress, identify the children needing intervention programs and the high flyers, set the school's targets for results etc. So whilst certain members of the public (not you my darling fellow bloggers) probably thought I was relaxing in France last week sipping champagne and eating foie gras I was in fact crunching data all week long. I did eat foie gras though :o)

I am the ICT co-ordinator so have to deal with IT problems, requests, in-house training, repairs, wish lists, requests for ink, installing ink (sheesh - how many times do you have to show someone how to install an ink/toner cartridge before they can do it themselves?) etc. I'm the one who has children knocking at the classroom door during lesson time "excuse me Mrs L, but Mr(s) X says can you come and see her in the ICT suite because she has a problem?" So I arrange cover and off I toddle, to be informed by Mr(s) X that the printer wont print!

Me ~ have you checked if there's paper in there?
Mr(s) X ~ ummm, no.
Me ~ have you pressed the continue button (big red button marked continue on the front of the printer)? The one I told you about last time!
Mr(s) X ~ ummm, no.
Me ~ have you checked if the printer is switched on?
Mr(s) X ~ ummm, no.
Me ~ have you checked if your brain is there?
Mr(s) X ~ ummm, no.
Me ~ ?????????????

And my problem is that I tell Si about all this, we talk about our days and I probably should shut up about these things. BUT that wouldn't be right ~ would it? And yesterday (well Wednesday ... is today Friday yet?) I came home as Modern Foreign Languages Co-ordinator ... another hat! No extra time or money available for the role! But you see this is the job I REALLY want! In fact what I really want is to spend ALL of my time teaching French ... maybe working between 2 or 3 different schools. A periapetetic French teacher that could be me! But my god I so wish I hadn't mentioned it when I got in on Wednesday night! The contre-temps/argument/fight (call it what you will) of the century took place ~ your job, more important than our marriage; more time to children and work than me ~ sheesh!

Things are ok now, he does know I don't love work more than I love him. He's pissed off by his own lack of job (but has the final interview for a post office job on Monday :: fingers/legs/eyes crossed) and is worried that he won't get an employment offer. I'm hoping for a better day today!! :o)

So, come on "dites-moi; est votre emploi aussi merveilleux que d'autres pensent qu'il est?"** [Just getting ready for that periapetetic job that's hollering my name!!]

* I remember reading a reader's letter in the Daily Mail from a jerk who was amazed that teacher's were asking for a 35 (I think it was 35, something like that) hour working week as he had never heard of any group of proffesionals demanding an INCREASE in their working hours!?! As everyone knew that teacher's only worked from 9 until 3.30 and always had an hour for lunch which was only 27 1/2 hours a week - I couldn't believe that crap!! I did almost 27 1/2 hours EXTRA the weekend before half term!
** "Tell me; is your job as wonderful as other people think it is?"

11 comments:

Sara said...

I tip my hat to you and all teachers who care about their work. The children of the world are in your hands and we owe you so much more than we can ever give!

And no, my job is not as wonderful as people think it is. I get yelled at, people lie to me all day long, they complain about petty problems and complain when I tell them that it will take 6-8 weeks to get an answer to their petty issue because some poor staff member in Kenya (or whichever of our 24 countries) has to travel three days to reach their child to ask the petty question, then three days back and so on and so forth.

I hear you :) And in case the parents don't say it, I will. Thank you so much, and thank Simon for allowing you to care for these precious little ones!

(sorry, that got long, didn't mean for that to happen, I get carried away sometimes!)

Ms Mac said...

All extremeties crossed here too. I think you're a wonderful woman. If only you were teaching my boys!

Doris said...

I loved the darling story of you two meeting :-) Ahhhhh.

I had to laugh because of you coming home with another new hat.... I have a friend who is a teacher in Germany and does similar!

It is wonderful that you enjoy your job so much. As for your man.... it sounds to me that his issues are many and I sure hope he gets his head sorted out. And then maybe, there might a little magic you can work somewhere to give him a bit more time but other than that, he has to come to terms with what is really his problem.

I have to say that I think the education system expects miracles from teaching staff and is no wonder that some teachers find it so hard to even know who their kids are that they are teaching when they have so much admin to do. Having read other posts of yours and reading between the lines, you sound like a wonderful teacher and one I would have loved to have had for my kids :-)

Good luck with the man!

Fizzy said...

JO I understand where you are coming from... now what you want is a supply teacher who could just come in and support you when you are busy running around filling ink cartridges... lol (believe me that is what I am employed for at the moment. )

I am sorry that Simon has said all this and hope that getting a job will help settle him abit. I am keeping all my extremities crossed that he gets the job.
Look after yourself and have a drink with me tonight it is Friday now

Walker said...

Teaching is a hard job and if you think teaching kids is hard youshould try adults. I tried for one day and was ready to hire a hit man for the whole freakin class.
The prepwork is just as hard as the delivery and then after you teach the class you have to go around and help the kids, or in my case "knot heads"
I did a stunt teaching mentally challenged teens and that was frustrating because I wasn't used to the Mr Walker being said every 10 seconds, but it was satisfing seeing their faces when they got it right.
Simon has to understand that this is your job and all that goes with it. Your a hat rack until you get something better.

Le laquet said...

Slinky - thankyou ~ he was slightly more "allowing" yesterday!!

ms.mac - thanks; a move to Switzerland? The youngest one does looks especially cute!!

Doris - *blushes* thankyou, and well done on your LEA feed-back

Fizzy - had another "the printer doesn't work" yesterday .... not switched on!! I took you up on your kind invitation, the world looks a much better place after a curry and a "couple" of glasses of rosé!!

Walker - I did 3 weeks in an adult education centre as part of my initial teacher training and I run an evening IT course for parents each term ... adult ed full time, let me think ... ummm, NO THANKS!!

Lisa said...

Hiya Jo :)

Teaching is a tough job! It annoys the crap out of ME to hear others think that teachers only work from 9-3 and get all those holidays off. Jason (Anna's fiance) is a primary school teacher, and he's always working well into the night preparing lessons for the following day; marking the lessons of that day etc. Unfortunately, he's had enough...he didn't realise how much paperwork was going to be involved or how many hours he was going to have to be away from his family.

He finishes up at the end of this year and he couldn't be more elated. He's been offered a plumbing apprenticeship, starts at the beginning of next year. Normal hours (stinky work bleech), but he's keens as mustard.

PS: They all think I'm a miracle worker at the surgery...cos I know how to change ink cartridges in the printer..your comment about that cracked me up lol I've given up showing them, I prefer to let them think I'm amazing instead lol

Anonymous said...

Hello, Michele sent me

What a wonderful whirlwind romance. Sounds fantastic.

You would think that with the number of teachers in the world, public impression would know it's far from the softest job in the world with cushy weekends and summers off with pay. I teach too.

Anonymous said...

and fingers and toes crossed for him in the job search...

Bennu said...

Thanks for stopping by, I am glad I found your blog and now know that teaching is teaching no matter where in the world you are.

I, too, am talking to a man online that reminds me of your Simon... we haven't met yet, but we will in two weeks... and I am looking forward to it being as good as what you describe. I will come back to see what else is going on with you and your students.

Le laquet said...

Lisa ~ I don't blame you about the cartridges, keep quiet it'll continue your air of mystique! I don't blame Jason taking the plumbing apprenticeship - he'll regain his life and if plumbing in NZ is anything like the UK he'll make more money than as a teacher!

Pearl ~ I don't think public opinion will change, but it would be lovely if it did! Thanks my finger/eyes/toes are crossed too this morning!

Bennu ~ you sound as if you have an exciting couple of weeks coming up!! Don't get me wrong I wouldn't do ANY other job than teaching BUT people's attitude does get me down a little!